Hershey Golf Collection is steeped in rich history on each of its four courses.
The West Course was designed by Maurice McCarthy in 1930 - a classic example of a traditional American-style layout. It hosted the 1940 PGA Championship, with the legendary Byron Nelson taking home the Wanamaker Trophy. The West Course was also the site of the LPGA Tour's Lady Keystone Open from 1978 to 1994.
Designer George Fazio captured the natural beauty of Central Pennsylvania's countryside when he designed the East Course, which opened in 1969. It was home to the Reese's Cup Classic from 1997 to 2004.
The land now occupied by Hershey Links (formerly Wren Dale Golf Club) began as a 175-acre cattle and pig farm once owned by Joseph B. Longenecker. In 2002, the land was purchased from Robert and Eleanor Oellig. The golf course was the vision of three local men - John McNair, Larry Hirsch, and Dr. Doug Goepfert. Originally called “Wren Dale,” a name coined by former area resident May Gingrich; it was designed by the firm of Hurdzan-Fry of Columbus, Ohio.
A links-style course, it opened its front nine officially on August 3, 2003. Since 2005, Hershey Links has been owned by the Hershey Trust Company; it has been managed by Hershey Entertainment & Resorts since November 2007.
Spring Creek was the nation's first public golf course created for players under age 18. Scottish golf course architect Maurice McCarthy designed the original nine-hole course for Milton S. Hershey while working on the famed West Course at Hershey Country Club. Originally called the “Juvenile Golf Club,” the course allowed youngsters to golf for a green fee of 35 cents for nine holes when it opened in 1932.
In 1969 the name was changed to highlight Spring Creek, the water hazard that repeatedly confronts players. In 2006 Tom Clark oversaw a course renovation that included three new hole designs, restoration of six existing holes, a tee-through-green irrigation system, turf grass replacement throughout the course, and the addition of 220 playing yards.